Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Ironing Doll's Clothes

Did you ever have a problem with very wrinkled doll's clothes?  Whether the outfit was brand new or pre-owned, most of the doll's clothes I have are wrinkled, and some are twisted in a shape that makes it very ugly when worn on the doll.

I didn't know how to solve this issue since my iron board is much too big for those tiny garments!  I browsed online for a solution and came upon the Clover Mini Iron.
 
It's basically a metal rod encased in a rubber handle with an electric cord.   At the end of the rod is a flat-shaped head which allows you to iron out those tiny seams.  The mini iron includes a stand with rubber sole feet and metal holder that you can use to let your iron rest without burning your table.

I tried the mini iron this week.  It took a long time to heat up but once it's hot, it finally ironed out all those stubborn wrinkles!!!  I tried it on Licca-chan's clothes which are made with real fabric.  I did not try it on Barbie's clothes because I was afraid it would melt the plastic. 

I don't know much about Barbie's clothes because I only bought a few outfits for my Pullip dolls but I was so disappointed in their quality that I didn't dare buy more.  They had a horrible fake plastic feel to them.  It didn't feel like fabric.  Those are brand new Barbie's clothes from Target, not old or knock-off versions.  I don't know if Mattel offers better quality with the Barbie Black Label clothes.  If you know, please tell me?

Going back to the mini iron; I am very happy with this tool!  I almost regret not buying the Clover Mini Iron II - The Adapter.
The Adapter offers the possibility to change the shape of the head.  It's basically the same as the first Mini Iron but you can buy different shapes for the head like the:
 
 
Or just get the whole thing (and more extra tips) with the Clover Iron II - The Adapter Set.
 
 
But I don't have any big sewing projects at the moment so I'll just keep my little iron for now.

8 comments:

  1. Ooh I will tell my Mom about this! Usually when our doll clothes get crumply, we wet them a bit and press hard!! PS. Yes, we have many beaches here :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful though when using the mini iron! It's very easy to get burn! But it does work very well so it's a tool worth getting. I hope you can find it in your country, otherwise there is always Ebay :)

      Delete
  2. WOW!!!!! This is SO cool! you are The Master of Dolls. did that sound weird? The Queen of Dolls! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you! I just found this because I was so desperate for a solution >.< Hate wrinkly clothes... even on my dollies.

      Delete
  3. how funny a mini iron for dolls! Though I think I would find that useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed very useful and not just for doll's clothes. If you sew or quilt, it will be handy as well!

      Delete
  4. I love this Clover Mini Iron. I never thought that there is such thing as mini iron for dolls clothes. This is so cute. How much does this one cost?
    ShopAtOliviasDollCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green basic Mini Iron is $17 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Clover-MCI900-Mini-Iron/dp/B001CE73F8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378730198&sr=8-3&keywords=clover+mini+iron)

      The red Mini Iron II is slightly more expensive at $20 (http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Mini-Iron--The-Adapter/dp/B001CEAMH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378730249&sr=8-1&keywords=clover+mini+iron)

      Delete